HBT is administered by a highly qualified senior management team with considerable experience in Benefit Administration, Finance, Actuarial Services, Operations and Rehabilitation.
Our clients are further supported by a team of experienced staff dedicated to the delivery of exceptional services to our client. Collectively, we are committed to providing quality services to our over 300 member organizations and to achieving and exceeding our corporate goals and client expectations.
A Board of Trustees oversees and assists the Trust in achieving its vision. The Board is appointed and is comprised of individuals with particular expertise in business administration, finance, law and in the not-for-profit sector and health care field.
Board of Trustees
Griffin, Malcolm (Mal)
Mal Griffin was appointed Chair of the HBT Board of Trustees on November 22, 2022. He was appointed as a Trustee of the HBT Board on August 23, 2018. Mal is currently Vice President, Digital Health for Interior Health. Previously, he was Interior Health’s Vice President, Human Resources and Chief Information Officer. Mal has more than 30 years of health-care experience, holds an Executive MBA from the University of Fredericton, and a Bachelor of Business Administration degree from Simon Fraser University. In 2009, Mal was named one of Computer World’s Premier 100 IT Leaders.
Paul Boundy was appointed to the HBT Board of Trustees on March 7, 2022. Paul started his career with Mutual Life of Canada, progressing through various roles in actuarial valuations, business development, pricing, strategic planning, and finishing his time there as Vice-President, Group Disability. Paul attained his FCIA and FSA designations in 1981. In 1994, Paul moved west as VP, Western Canada, for the leading Canadian pharmacy benefit manager. Paul also spent time with Mercer where he was
responsible for the Healthcare and Group Practice for Alberta and Saskatchewan. Paul spent the last 12 years of his career with Sun Life Financial where he was responsible for the growth and financial management of the block of group business across Canada, including responsibility for four Canadian underwriting offices and group sales and service staff in 11 Canadian cities.
Lisa Castle was appointed to the HBT Board of Trustees on March 7, 2022. In 2018, Lisa established a consulting practice concentrated on strengthening organizations with their people, specializing in workplace strategies and practices. She retired in December 2017 from her role as the University of British Columbia’s Vice President Human Resources, holding the most senior HR role at UBC since 2002. Lisa has served on a number of boards and associations over the years. Currently, in addition to being a Trustee of HBT, she is also a Board Director of Great Northern Way Campus Ltd.
De Croos, Mark
Mark De Croos was appointed to the HBT Board of Trustees on June 1, 2019. Mark serves as Vice President, Financial and Corporate Services with Northern Health Authority and has over 25 years experience in financial and strategic planning, reporting and analysis. Having joined Northern Health in 2009, Mark oversees financial and capital operations and is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating the organization’s fiscal performance and ensuring long-term financial sustainability. Mark holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of Alberta and is a Chartered Professional Accountant.
Humphries, Richard (Dick)
Dick Humphries was appointed to the HBT Board of Trustees on August 23, 2018. Dick started his career in 1974 with the federal Department of Insurance in Ottawa (now referred to as the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions) as an actuarial student working on the actuarial valuations of the Canada Pension Plan. He later transferred over to the position of assistant actuary in the Pension Benefits Division of the Department of Insurance, which is responsible for the regulation of federally regulated pension plans. In January 1987 Dick moved back to Vancouver and joined the benefits consulting firm of Mercer as a consulting actuary. In this capacity, Dick consulted to a number of jointly trusteed multi-employer pension plans in addition to several corporate clients. Dick obtained his MSc degree from UBC in Probability and Statistics and attained his FCIA and FSA designations in 1980. He has served on various actuarial committees, the Finance Committee of the Alzheimer’s Society of BC and is currently Chairperson for the Board of Trustees of the FortisBC Energy Inc. Pension Plan and the COPE – FortisBC Pension Plan.
Tim Veresh was appointed to the HBT Board of Trustees on June 1, 2019. Tim is the Executive Director of PLEA Community Services Society and a member of the Community Social Services Employers Association. He has over 20 years of senior management experience within the social services sector. Tim currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Federation for Community Social Services, the Canadian Criminal Justice Association, the Provincial Association of Residential & Community Agencies and Realize Strategies. He graduated with a Bachelor’s degree from Simon Fraser University.
- Over 15 years’ experience in strategic planning, communications and stakeholder relations.
- Prior to joining the Trust, Elisabeth was Vice President, Corporate Development for a Biopharmaceutical company and former Director of Business Development for a National Law firm.
- Responsible for Service Delivery across all benefits administration functions, including direct oversight of Claims Adjudicators and Claims paying Agents (Service providers).
- Develops the strategic service plan and multi-year business plans, and provides sound expertise and advice in driving strategies for achieving business objectives and resolving critical business issues.
- Provides leadership on business transformation and operational change initiatives within HBT and its Providers.
- Develops and implements Stakeholder Relations and Communications initiatives to support positive work relationships throughout HBT, with Trustees, business partners and stakeholders in both the Health and Community Sectors.
- Over 20 years of progressive leadership experience in professional services and public company environments.
- Prior to joining HBT, Daniel spent 8 years as Chief Financial Officer at Sterling Shoes, a Vancouver-based footwear retailer with over 160 stores across Canada.
- Previous to Sterling, Daniel spent 11 years at PwC in their corporate finance, transaction services, audit and advisory practices.
- Part of Daniel’s practice at PwC included audit and advisory services to pension plans and health and welfare trusts.
- Provide management and strategic leadership to the Finance Department, IT, HR and Legal departments.
- Contribute to the development of the corporate strategic plan and multi-year business plans.
- Provide financial expertise and advice in driving strategies for achieving business objectives and resolving critical business issues.
- Build and foster positive working relationships throughout HBT, with the Board of Trustees and with various partners and stakeholders in accomplishing objectives.
Tony Green, CPA, CGA
- 5 years’ experience in senior financial positions, most recently as Accounting Supervisor with the Trust.
- Accounting experience working in publicly traded enterprises in the retail and hybrid vehicles industries.
- Manage the day to day financial activities of the Trust.
- Lead and direct the financial and accounting functions in support of the Trust’s business objectives.
- Build and foster positive working relationships throughout the Trust’s and member organizations.
- Lead the assessment of financial requirements for business operations and programs.
- Build an effective and high performance finance team.