HBT is a not-for-profit Employee Life and Health Trust that provides and administers group health and welfare benefits for employees in the health, community and broader public sector in British Columbia.
Serving the Public Sector
Our Business Model
Our Self-Insured Model
Our self-insured model of Benefit delivery and administration is unique and affords our members the following benefits:
- Beneficial tax treatment; no HST
- No profit charges meaning that any surplus realized goes towards administering Benefits and reducing rates
- No risk charges meaning if an organization were to purchase insurance through a standard insurance company that was fully insured, they would pay a premium to the insurer (most likely built into the rate) for the risk the insurer has to bear to provide insurance
- Strong pool asset management
- Pooling of Benefit administration costs
Our core areas of responsibility include:
- Sound management of HBT funds*
- Comprehensive administration of benefits as per the Plan including claims
- Payment of Health and Welfare Benefits and all related expenses
- Management of service providers to the Plan
- Engage professional services and expertise to deliver the Plan
*Trust funds are provided through a combination of employer/employee contributions and investment income. HBT holds reserves in the Trust funds to cover all claims liability.
Our Service Providers
Healthcare Benefit Trust (HBT) provides cost-effective Group Benefit coverage. To ensure neutrality and optimal efficiency in claims adjudication HBT outsources these services to: Canada Life for Long Term Disability and Group Life/Dependent Life and Pacific Blue Cross (PBC) for Extended Health and Dental claims.
All services and benefits provided by Canada Life and PBC are paid by from the Trust funds. HBT manages all aspects of services provided by Canada Life and PBC to ensure best-in-class delivery of services at the lowest reasonable cost. In addition, HBT also outsources some professional services that include fund management, legal and audit services.